Cemeteries of the Annunciation Cathedral
“Greek Section” at Woodlawn Cemetery – 2130 Woodlawn Drive, Baltimore MD 21207
At the head of Gwynn Oak Avenue is the area of Baltimore County known as Woodlawn. It is here that the Woodlawn Cemetery Company was formed in 1903. In this peaceful and serene setting, with the winding rocky stream of Gwynns Falls, the Annunciation Greek Orthodox community established the first Orthodox burial grounds in the State of Maryland in 1912. In fact, four distinct burial grounds would be purchased in the North Avon section of Woodlawn Cemetery by the close of the 1930’s. All four sections are adjacent to each other and form what is called the “Greek Section” at Woodlawn Cemetery.
The Greek Circle was acquired in 1912. It is a 1,000 square foot parcel of land in the shape of a circle with 50 gravesites arranged in five rows.
The Greek Plot was purchased in 1916 with 325 gravesites in 13 rows.
The Holy Trinity section was acquired in 1924 and consists of 85 gravesites in three rows. This section was named for the second Greek Orthodox Church which existed from 1923-1929, and then reunited back with Annunciation.
The New Greek Plot was purchased in 1936 with nearly 170 gravesites.
Greek Orthodox Cemetery – 5917 Windsor Mill Road, Baltimore MD 21207
When the Greek Section at Woodlawn was nearing full capacity, the idea was proposed for the Annunciation community to establish its own parish cemetery.
The general assembly of August 1943 directed the parish council to obtain a mortgage to secure and develop a church-owned cemetery property. By October 1943, nearly six acres were acquired at 5917 Windsor Mill Road, about a mile away from the Woodlawn Cemetery. The cemetery committee moved quickly in developing the burial grounds, established rules and regulations, and advertised pricing for the sale of lots to parishioners.
The first burial took place in May of 1944. By October of that year, eight more acres were purchased. The Annunciation community had now acquired a total of 14 acres for burial grounds and it was officially named the “Greek Orthodox Cemetery.”
By the spring of 1982, a chapel-mausoleum was erected and named the Chapel of the Holy Resurrection where liturgical and funeral services are now held frequently. Over 2,000 interments have been made in this cemetery since its acquisition with seven acres still undeveloped for use by future generations of Orthodox Christians.